February 17, 2010

Bahrain – the kingdom of the two seas

This is my first post this year. So here’s wishing you all a picturesque 2010!

The middle east has always been on my list of travel destinations. So when I got the opportunity to visit the tiny island of Bahrain, I grabbed it. The name literally means “The Kingdom of the Two seas” in Arabic (more here). The country seems to be one of the more liberal Muslim nation. This is surprising considering it’s immediate neighbours are Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, the country offers a good mix of the modern and the historic. This little island has a International Formula One Circuit, broad streets, ultra-modern malls, right next to beautiful old mosques, little pottery villages and markets (or Souq in Arabic) that are hundreds of years old. My work kept me tied down or I would have loved to photograph every thing on this list.

But here are some photographs I could manage to take

The Twin towers of Bahrain World Trade Center The National Bank of Bahrain (NBB) DSCF9963 A view inside one of Bahrain's date shops

The complete set can be viewed here.

I am hoping to be able to get back there and capture what I missed out this time around.